Tuesday, December 29, 2009

5:18PM, on a Tuesday

I could lie to you about why I haven’t been blogging. I could say I’ve been busy with work and grad school applications. I could say the internet has been spotty. I could even say that I don’t have much worth writing about. All of these things are partially true, but the real reason is that I’ve turned into an addict. That’s right, I’m a total junkie. I just can’t stop! Someone needs to take away my stash before it’s too late. I’m addicted...to “Lost.” (The TV show, for those of you that haven’t flicked the idiot box on in a few years.) I never watched it while it was running, and some evil mastermind at ProGhana put seasons 1-5 in the office library. A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of borrowing the first disc. Since then, I could not put my laptop away. It’s a sickness, really. Thankfully, I have watched every single disc now so the madness is over.

Anyway, it’s true that I have been on the busy side. I have finished all of my surveys and based on the results, it seems that there are two problems with children’s protein intake. The first is that meat, the obvious source of protein, is far too expensive for many families. The second is that the mothers don’t seem to recognize other sources of protein. So the intervention I am designing is two-fold. The first part is the fortification of gari, a local cassava product that is cheap and ubiquitous but devoid of nutrients. Sympathy International owns gari processing equipment and actually used to run a production program as an income-generating activity for poor women, but the funds have dried up. Therefore, I not only have to work out the fortification system, but I also have to raise funds and rehire workers for the processing plant.

The second part is an advocacy campaign for better child nutrition. I am still designing this element, but I am working on incorporating facts and advice on protein supplementation on the gari packaging. I would also like to work with the schools to disseminate information to the parents. Something else must be done for the illiterate population; I am thinking of some kind of community ambassador program where we can train a small number of women about child nutrition and have them orally convey the information back to their family, friends, and neighbors. Of course, this all requires a good deal of money. I have identified a few foundations whose funding interests might align with such a program, and the rest of my time here will be spent creating grant proposals and calculating a master budget. Because of how long the grant processes can take, I wouldn’t be surprised if nothing happened for 6 months or more, but I plan to keep up with the project as best I can from the US. It would be so amazing to make this really happen.

JD, the baby in my homestay, came down with malaria last week. He was feverish, weak, and unwilling to eat. They took him to the hospital several times and came back with new medicines each time; it turned out that not only did he have malaria, he also had an eye infection, a sore in his mouth, and a new tooth coming in. Poor thing! He’s much better now, though he still has a cough and has started itching at his ear for some reason.

We missed the Christmas church service because of JD’s recuperation, but went on Sunday. It was three and a half hours long. One of the reasons was because everything was said in English, then immediately repeated in Fante. There was also a special collection having something to do with a cardinal (it was a Catholic church), a baptism, and a ritual for something they called Priest Appreciation Day. About 40 people processed up the aisle with gifts for the priest, ranging from envelopes stuffed with cash to a large crate of Cokes to a 12-pack of toilet paper. Because nothing says “I appreciate your religious instruction” like toilet paper...?

After the service, we went to my homestay father’s father’s house with the extended family; the party was probably around 20 people. I had a nice time, although I was sore from sitting on a hard wooden bench all morning. JD was very shy, with so many people he barely knew trying to hold him and talk to him. When his parents went inside to eat, he clung to me and cried when anyone else took him. I’ve discovered I feel the same way about babies as I do about dogs: I tend to like them on an individual basis, and I like them best when they belong to other people.

Things are even slower at work right now with so many holidays; apparently most business-people in Ghana take off two weeks for Christmas and Boxing Day and New Year’s. Boxing Day this year was funny because it fell on a Saturday, but was celebrated the following Monday so the Ghanaians wouldn’t be deprived of their hard-earned holiday! Another instance of their determination to enjoy life. Anyway I’ve been spending a lot of time working on a Fante handbook for future volunteers, which I presented to Lawrence today. He was incredibly pleased and told me he thinks we could sell it! I’m just happy that he feels his teaching has been worthwhile. I get the impression that not everyone is as interested in the intricacies of Fante grammar as I am.

I’m including pictures from a wedding to which my homestay family invited me. It was very interesting – especially because I’ve never even been to an American, or any other, wedding before! Both the wedding and the church service featured a live band with singers and a church choir. I think the singing and drumming and dancing (yes, dancing) help maintain the congregation's attentions for those long services!

Lastly, a shout-out to my brother David who just turned 26. Even though he won’t be reading this, Happy Birthday Dave! I love you.



The interior of the church, trimmed in purple for Advent.


Priest giving an opening speech on love and marriage.


A woman on her cellphone during the priest's opening speech.



The hats were spectacular: Western-style hats that would put the ladies at the Kentucky Derby to shame, and Ghanaian-style hats that looked as if they were made from wrapping paper.


The priest preparing the wafer and wine for communion.


The altar being blessed with incense.



The bride converted to Catholicism and took her first communion as part of the wedding ceremony. I gather this is not uncommon. Another note that my homestay mother told me: in Ghana, men "court" women up until the day of the wedding; they only get engaged on the morning of the blessed event.


The main duty of the maid of honor and best man were to mop the sweat from the brows of the happy couple.


Taking their vows.


I now pronounce you man and wife!


Sheep grazing in the front yard.



JD at the church and outside the house with his dad.


I couldn't resist: the live chicken in front of the ready-to-eat chicken!

1 comment:

  1. I did that exact same thing when I was in France last year - became addicted to a variety of tv shows that I downloaded and watched constantly until it was over. But anyway, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete